Thursday, February 11, 2010

#500: Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy

February 10, 2010

#500: “Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy

Box Set

I have spent most of an entire week with the Criterion Collection’s box set “Roberto Rossellini’s War Trilogy.” Those were some very entertaining and engaging evenings spent absorbing three wonderful films, written and visual essays, and a cornucopia of special features while the snow piled ever deeper outside. If ever there was a “film school in a box,” this collection is the new epitome of one.

I enjoyed every minute I spent with this collection. It was all I had hoped for, and more. I have many prized and cherished DVDs in my movie collection, and this set is now certainly counted among them.

I bought it at a time when it was definitely over-indulgent to do so. A leftover Christmas gift card, a generous coupon, and an online discount made it obtainable. This is one purchase I definitely do not regret making. I have no doubts that I will come back to it and enjoy it many times through the years.

This post is brief because its only purpose is to wrap up my viewing of the three movies contained in the box set, Rome Open City, Paisan, and Germany Year Zero. See the previous posts for all I’ve had to say about each of the films and my impressions of the box set.

No comments:

Post a Comment